Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Past few weeks in Barcelona

Sorry for the lack of updates! Since Switzerland, I have stuck around in Barcelona and have kept pretty busy, so updating the blog kind of slipped my mind.

Let's see. I had three midterms the week after Switzerland.. Three in one week! Unheard of for a block plan student. Luckily these classes are not hard, so they were pretty easy. For example, my Mediterranean Oceanography midterm consisted of 20 multiple choice questions...and we knew the questions ahead of time. My other midterms had a little more to them, but weren't that challenging at all.

The weekend following midterms, I had two Oceanography field-trips, which I thought were pretty cool, most of the class did not. Friday we went to a small fishing town in Northern Spain called Palamos and we got to see all different types of fishing boats and gear and go to a fishing museum. Saturday we went to the Ebro River Delta and it was gorgeous. We saw different type of ecosystems that exist there and got to go a beautiful beach. We saw wild flamingos! I had never seen a flamingo in the wild before, so I was pretty pumped up about that. Unfortunately, the majority of kids on the trip were debbie downers, and instead of appreciating the experience, they just complained about wanting to go back to Barcelona the whole time.. very typical IES-Abroad students.

On Thursday, the Colorado College invasion began! Friends that are studying abroad in various countries in Europe came to visit for Halloween and we had such a great time. Thursday we went to Funk Night at a dance hall/bar type place. Friday, after seeing some sights, we went to a big 25 person dinner by the water. Saturday, we got into the Halloween mood by watching the movie "The Orphan" which was SO weird, walked around a the El Born neighborhood and ate delicious Mexican food and then got ready for Halloween! I have to say, I am quite impressed with how the costumes turned out. I was worried because there was no ARC, or good thrift stores, that we know of in Spain...so everyone had to get creative. Some friends and I dressed as "Noah's Ark Singles Only Cruise," because we didn't have enough people to have two of each animal. I was a giraffe (or, jirafa in Spanish), my friends were a tiger, a wolf, a cow, a frog, and a rooster. We went to another large dinner dressed in our costumes which was quite fun. After that we went to an Irish Pub/Bar in which my Noah's Ark friends and I won the costume contest!! We won 250 Euros!! It was so much fun! Sunday, after laying in bed until about 4, I met up with a CC friend Becca and we walked around Gaudi's Parc Guell.


All in all, this weekend was so great, one of the best I think I've had in Barcelona thus far. It was so awesome to see all the CC kids.


On Friday, I leave for Dublin to meet up with Lauren Dayton, a good friend from Cincinnati!

Hope all is well with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment