Thursday, September 3, 2009

Long post..with pictures!


So today is my third day in the city. Life is good! Here comes a series of random updates..

I have gotten to know how to use the subway system around here..and by gotten to know I mean I know how to get to the Placa Catalunya (the center/main part of the city). I feel pretty confident that I can get on/get off at the right places. It's a very short ride to the Placa, maybe 10 minutes. IES, the place where I will be taking classes, is located right on the Placa, so it's a short commute to school. I have yet to explore other modes of transportation, meaning the bus, but I will sometime soon.

Today was our first day of orientation at IES. They went over safety information, important dates of the program, etc. It wasn't too exciting.

Yesterday, I met up with Alex (better known as AKahn, for those who go to CC) and Rachel, both friends from Colorado College for some Sangria on a busy/pretty touristy street called "Las Ramblas." When we were sitting outside, Alex had his wallet sitting on a table, and some man came over and tried to steal it! He acted like he was handing out flyers, put the flyers over the wallet, and then went for the snatch. Luckily AKahn has cat like reflexes and saw what was going on and grabbed his wallet back from the man!! How lucky.. It was a big awakening for all of us. I have been warned many times about pick-pocketing in Barce, but to see it first hand made it all that more real. I keep my bag close to me at all times and am trying to be as aware of my surroundings as possible!

It is so hot here. I am a big baby when it comes to heat, so me and these temperatures don't mix that well. We don't have any fans or AC in the casa (which is to be expected). I am not used to sweating 24 hours a day! I hope it starts to cool down (starting tomorrow..). I think in a few weeks, summer will end and the cooler weather will arrive.

I haven't been sleeping well at all these past two nights. My body needs to adjust to the time change. I slept maybe 2 hours last night?

For those who camp...you know how sometimes you just can't get your Thermarest right? There's either a bump, or you're angled one way, or you realize that your feet are uphill from you..etc? Well, that is how my bed is. It slopes down on one side, and the other side is semi-lumpy. It's definitely going to take some getting used to! I have a feeling once I get over my jetlag and get on a normal sleep schedule, I will be totally comfortable in the bed, but right now it is a bit awkward.

Tonight, María invited Rosa (her friend from across the street), and Rosa's two IES students staying with her (Gretchen and Kate..very great people!) over for ice cream on her terrace after dinner. I am looking forward to it. I am getting along with María very well. She speaks no English, so communicating sometimes is hard, but she is very patient and I am trying my best. She is still upset that I do not eat meat, and I do not think that will change. I am following her rules very well and I had to teach them all to Katie, my roommate who arrived late last night!

And now the fun part! Here are some pictures of my living arrangement.. I don't know how to lay them out so they look good...so forgive me, there are awkward spaces!!!!


This is the view from my window! You can't really tell, but I can look out my window and see a mountainy-hill type thing.











This picture to the left is of María's terrace.









This picture to the left is of my bedroom. My bed is the closest to the window!










This is María!! She is standing in front of the door to the kitchen, and behind her in the living room and her pet bird.










The picture to the left is of the room where I am now!



And the picture below is of María and her son!


















That is all for now! I am going to go investigate what is going on right now in the living room. If I understood correctly, people are installing new cable so we can watch partidos de futbol!!!! (Soccer games..)

Hope everything is well with you, blog reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment